ever since i found out that washing your hair daily is “bad for it”, i almost immediately starting “training” my hair to stay cleaner longer so that i wouldn’t have to wash it everyday. i know so many girls struggle with their hair getting oily or greasy super quick, so i’m here to spill all my secrets on training your hair & the best dry shampoo hack to only wash your hair ONCE A WEEK.
HOW TO GO LONGER WITHOUT WASHING YOUR HAIR
i’m going to be honest with you, training your hair can get kinda gross. fortunately, we’re all social distancing so this would be the PERFECT time to do this. stay home, get greasy. LOL
WHY SHOULD YOU NOT WASH YOUR HAIR EVERY DAY, you ask? washing your hair that frequently strips your scalp which results in it over producing oil to make up for it. hence why your hair gets oily/greasy rather quickly.
here’s the general gist of how you’re going to do this:
– on the first (and second) day after washing, try to use little to no product in your hair. not loading up your fresh, clean hair with product right off the bat will help subdue the oil.
– start out by going one more day than you normally do between washes (ex: if you wash everyday, wash every other day. if you wash every other day, wash every two days…etc.) – i’d do this 2-3 times before moving on to more days.
– continue by adding more days in between washes…if your hair is still doing good, DON’T WASH IT. after doing this enough, your scalp will get used to not being washed every day.
– if you get to day 3 and your hair is desperately begging for a wash or a heavy handed spray of dry shampoo, TRY MY HACK BELOW!
SIDENOTE: you could also go about this like i did back in the day and just not wash your hair for a week. LOL definitely a more direct method, definitely a greasier one too.
DRY SHAMPOO HACK FOR FRESH HAIR
i usually do this on day 3 after washing my hair. i’ve found that the key to extending your time between washes is doing very little to your hair the first day or two. don’t use a lot of unnecessary product and definitely DON’T use dry shampoo until you REALLY NEED IT.
alright, here’s what you do:
1. brush out your hair. be sure to lift the roots when brushing. don’t brush it down flat against your head.
2. divide out a horizontal section of your hair – i go from bottom to top and do from ear to ear to start.
3. shake your dry shampoo and spray liberally at the roots where you sectioned. let this sit for about 30 seconds to a minute.
4. using your blow dryer on HOT and a large round brush, blow out that section of hair by grabbing smaller sections around your head. THE KEY: focus the blow dryer on your ROOTS keeping your hair/brush lifted and out away from your head. you don’t need to blow out through the ends.
5. repeat steps 2-4 until you get to the top of your head. i end up only doing three sections, but i have pretty thin hair.
PRO TIP: i like to use an invisible dry shampoo on the very top layer since i tend to use more product on this layer.
6. be sure to pay extra attention to the top layer since it’s obviously the most visible.
WANNA WATCH ME DO THIS INSTEAD? watch my IGTV below!
MY FAVORITE AFFORDABLE DRY SHAMPOOS
Not Your Mother’s – Plump for Joy Dry Shampoo: love this for my top layer!
Batiste Dry Shampoo – Original: best all over!
COLAB Dry Shampoo – INVISIBLE & the original scent is the best in my opinion